Wednesday 15 June 2011

now what?.....


....1 month project!...

So this week has seen a change in my mood....furtive and anxious....its really reflected in my work too! I've tried not to let things get me down...life's too short....but redundancy and looking for new jobs is starting to take its toll!...even though I am testing the waters with my own work....its still stressful...anyone who doesn't get nervous before an interview or presentation must have nerves of steel!!

I went to see my niece's  Fine Art foundation Exhibition......I was totally blown away by how good her work was, her statement was very personal and really touched me.....her work was about skin cancer and how it effects people and their relationships.....it was ephemeral and yet had such strength about it, sadly I can't show you any photos as she had an interested buyer so I'd better not! It was not just Hope's work that was fantastic the standard of work was amazing, I felt humble and a bit lacking to be honest........
...so back to the drawing board it is! 


I know I want to focus on pebbles for my 3rd and final year but I am trying to line up a few exhibitions for over the summer so I need work that I can use now.....so over the next month I have set myself a challenge of using some "rusty" photos as a starting point!....


....here are some of the photos....
the marks are great, the colours deep and warm...I have a thing about markings!...


...taken from a sea defence wall the rusty photos just look great, so I'am off to experiment with oils, tyvek, and basically anything I can get my hands on!




I might possibly layer fabrics, burn bits and even have a go using melted wax...the possibilities seem endless at the beginning of a project!

...inks on foil might look good along with heat guns to distort...


....sketches in pastels might be a starting point! might even see if I can find something similar nearby and go and try some frotage! 


over the next week I'll be researching artists who paint, use, create rust or elements of decay in there work...
....would love feed back if you have any good ideas!




No comments:

Post a Comment