Monday 18 July 2011

busy...busy...!

....ok the walking lasted until the heavens opened!...when it stops I will go out....I thought that 3 days ago and it hasn't really stopped yet!....so I've eaten some chocolate to commiserate the fact!

It's been a fairly busy weekend really..."Seafest" a local maritime festival held in Scarborough, North Yorkshire was the venue for me exhibiting my work for the first time...I wasn't really sure if I was going about it all the right way but seemed to go ok, I only ended up showing my art on Sunday (thats another story!) so Saturday we were free to go out and about...

...So we - thats my family...went over to The Joe Cornish Gallery in Northallerton to see Kevin's (my husband!) photo that was being shown there. I was so, so proud of him...his first open competition and his work was chosen out of over 200 entries to be shown with 70 others! It was absolutely heaving and way too crowded to be able to look at the work and appreciate it! Joe Cornish was there as well as Steve Gosling - I really do like his work in mono - but sadly I didn't see Peter Hicks.  Heres there web addresses if you want to look at their work...
www.joecornishgallery.co.uk
www.stevegoslingphotography.co.uk
www.docbrown.info
...The photo was displayed above a door so I couldn't really get a good picture of Kevin next to it....I am sure he wont be too pleased I have put the photo on my blog...but I think he's just fab and what a result, hopefully its the first of many...
Kevin under his winning photo!

  ...So on Sunday after I'd set everything up in the music marquee at Seafest... I wandered around the other Marquees....they were absolutely buzzing...heaving with craft and art stalls...opus! my  lonely display was err....definitely not attracting much attention...the fact that people had to pay to get in was a major turn off!! however, the singing was actually very good, infact some of it was really beautiful...and I'am not a massive follower of folk and sea shanties...and eventually people did wander over....the music organiser had used some of my artwork for the t-shirt designs so I was given a t-shirt to wear too!....

first attempt at exhibiting my work...never thought about the floor!!!
my cantilever parasol stand is just fab for hanging my installations!
 ...anyway...glad to say I sold two pieces of work and some cards, and no haggling either...so quite pleased. ...
...things to remember: receipt book, bubble wrap and wrapping paper and tape! don't drink too much as you have to pay to use the loos - spending my profit not a penny!...

....as I would never have thought of showing my work until after my degree I was very apprehensive, but the feedback I got from my visitors was both positive and lovely so I might look elsewhere!....

....a few photos of the singers and characters from Sunday afternoon...I loved the fact that they sang the sea shanty song I have used within my "Sea garlands" installation, that was a goosebump moment!.... enjoy...



Carmen Mills - who just finished her Fine Art Degree this year won the songwriting competition - very talented lady!


...keep blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment