Sunday 25 November 2012

Pondering, thinking, reflecting....and lists!

 I make lists all the time....as if trying to get some sort of order into my life ...the truth is that half the time I loose them or forget to take them with me!...but its the process of making the list that I find therapeutic and even rewarding (if I actually achieve doing more than two things or remember it)....I have to confess my sister is top list maker...to the extent of  writing events in order really tiny and neatly and adding tick boxes too!....mine are not quite as impressive, however I have found myself writing lists to help me decide what to do when Laine & Co "Pop-up" gallery draws to an end.

I have loved most of the time I have spent in the gallery, things like leaky windows and damp basements have been a bit of a let down (and the fact that I haven't made a million!) but if that's all then its not bad really!
2nd Year Fine Art Degree Students
Exhibition
"Painting & then some..."
The one thing I do know is that: my vision was to have a cluster of studios in one space that funded an outlet/gallery showcasing art etc, this little gallery is OK, but my vision it is not! I miss the camaraderie of fellow artists and also being the sole artist in the gallery has made me realise how tied I am to the shop.

Some things take time and often money....I would really like to develop myself as an artist, to do this obviously takes time and although having a gallery is a great way of promoting myself, I seem to spend a lot of time promoting the gallery and other artists....I have been sorting, storing and sourcing avenues I could go down in terms of promoting myself and the main one seems to be not necessarily laying in the Scarborough area!...aaaahhh the joy of website/blog statistics registering & collating where people are viewing work etc and what they are looking at - technology (at times) can be  a great source of help!

I've missed being able to get out and explore, go to other exhibitions, visit people and I suppose live the life I lead last year!....albeit not writing dissertations etc! I've discussed this a lot my family and friends and have given myself until 1st January to make a final decision as to where and what I do next.
Utilising space as best as possible! 
more work displayed in the studio space...
In the mean time I have been trying my hand at a variety of alternative ways of not only make money but get myself known and recognised as an artist such as: workshops - they seemed to go ok and not quite as daunting as I thought they would be! the lovely people made them sooooo much easier and pleasurable too.  
 I've also been making smaller pieces of art - in the hope of seeming more achievable and realistic in terms of selling due to the economic downfall and it being Christmas etc
My hand made, hand bound journals/books seem to be going down well too. I intend to add more of my art in a journal format (like I was doing a few years ago) but on a smaller scale.  I am practising making my own paper again, some of it's been great other attempts have been a 'tad flimsy and brittle.  I've decided to make my own deckle & mold as I normally use an old screen printing frame but struggle to get the pulp out without damaging the edge or taking an age!.....I've added a variety of books to my Christmas list  (yup, another list!) in the hope of mastering these skills in the very near future....
So as you can see, I am still hard at it and using every opportunity to keep creating and trying something new or different while all the time musing over ideas...
I confess...I absolutely love creating the window displays
for Laine & Co!

Following on from my last blog I mentioned completing my HAFNEY commission....
I've been up to the hospital with all my pieces and with the help of Sue Lawty placed the work around the outpatients room....Obviously we will be working with the ward Sister to hopefully re-arrange some of the notices etc....The ward hasn't been decorated for years and is not part of this phase of renovations, but as I was lucky enough to be allowed to put my work in a location of my choice I am very happy to be able to brighten up a normally subdued area...

so after all that...we're not sure if it needs another piece to finish it off....I'm meeting there again next week to discuss further...










I'll keep you posted.



I just wanted to share where I ended up putting my latest butler bell box....I wasn't meant to be used for the home, but I just love it and it goes so well in my newly decorated hallway!....
Anyway, I felt I've been lacking in my blogging duties so although I've not a great deal to tell, I thought I'd  keep you up to date with what I have been up to.... 
I love taking a few minutes to read other peoples blogs, they are often really inspiring and helpful, even if its just to remind me that others have the same issues as me!

Take care, happy reading x

No comments:

Post a Comment